Monday, January 11, 2010

Missing My Girls

Some of you just read that title and thought "that's your own damn fault for moving 2,000 miles away". Ok...but I am chasing my dreams, feeding my soul and doing what I need for my own happiness. As selfish as that may sound, my friends support me. That's all I can ask for...and how I know they are my real true friends; they encouraged and supported me even though it meant I was going away.

I've been reading up a bunch on writing (journaling and songwriting) to get back in touch with my creative side. During my reading and research I found one blogger's initiative of '365 days of kindness'. This struck me because I know in the past few years I've let stresses hold me back fro my potential self. I always feel great satisfaction and inner-peace by extending kindness to others when they don't expect it. I vow to try this and journal about my attempts to be kind this year. One of those opportunities presented themselves recently!

This past weekend my friends in MN got together for the annual Christmas get-together we all have. I was feeling quite down as time drew near that I couldn't be with them to celebrate. The truth is, I don't see my friends any less than when I lived in MN, but I miss them terribly. For now, Matthew and I are planning to stay here (who knows what the future holds) so it's something I'll have to adjust to. I decided to let them all know I was thinking of them and that I wished I was there with them. I found out where they were going, who's name the reservation was under and called the restaurant up. They were so kind to let me order a few appetizers and send them to the table once the ladies arrived. To me, it wasn't a big deal. After all...how can you expect a nummy snack to replace quality time with the ones you love? But the response I got from them all was so worth it. I received a phone call with lots of giggles and thank yous. I was so happy that I could extend something like that their way. It made my day!

Just so you know, we are all making attempts to stay connected to each other. I talk to a few friends via instant messenger on a regular basis, Skype, phone calls, Facebook...they all help. I'm hoping to have some girls come visit us here in Key West. And I'm doing everything I can to make a trip home in May for a special someone's wedding. I cannot wait to see them again. It is true what they say- absence makes the heart grow fonder.

For now, in the midst of all the IMs, Facebook, Skype calls and emails, anytime I miss my ladies I just crank up a playlist I made for one of our last hang-outs at my place. It's simple, but it brings me back to all the times we were together.

I love you girls!



No comments: